Saturday, March 14, 2009

The silence is broken

I finally managed to get back on the keyboard today, even if it wasn't for the length of time I normally would.  I know I'll never be really good at it, but at least its passable.  Checked 5 songs today and put the final few chords to 3 others. Favourite ones to play at the moment include Mighty to Save, Awesome God, Free, Every Day, and one of the ones from years ago, from an event NZ used to have called March for Jesus.  I have no idea why I still remember the last one, or any of the other songs from that event for that matter cause the time it was held was just over 7 years ago, but I just haven't forgotten them.  Hope they bring it back sometime cause it really was an awesome event. 

Anyways I've also been learning a few other ones (like 'From the Inside Out' and 'Tell the World' by Hillsong and Hillsong United respectively, and I'm still working on 'Beetroot Stain' by The Lads (well I do lead in the kids church remember, I have to learn at least ONE fun one that they might like). Now I just need to think of some others to learn.  I've got more for the kids, but I want some from other bands I know too.  (Any suggestions are welcome.) 

This is the one thing I DO like about playing by ear -  no need for sheet music :).  It can get rather annoying tho when you start learning songs simply cause you've 'heard them too much' (and yes unfortunately I have had that happen before - thats how I know some of the ads off TV.) I guess the written music has its place too.  Still, I'm always going to stick to playing by ear.

2 comments:

Kiwi da Fruit said...

Hi, Blueh and Skittles kinda sent me over. They mentioned you were from NZ, which attracted me right away! (And, just to clear this up now, as many people have been confused about this, I'm not from NZ. I simply would like to be. :)

I can only play by ear! I learned simple notes on piano, but never really pursued it. I just sing hundreds (okay, maybe not hundreds, but quite a few!) of songs from the radio.

'Bye!
~Kiwi da Non-Kiwiian Fruit~

netsirK said...

Very cool! Still hoping you'll be all better soon.
Wish I could play like you can!