Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Newzild

Thats the way the majority of Kiwis are said to pronounce the name of our home country.  While I wouldn't always agree with that, it has made an excellent name for all our kiwi phrases and words that are not so widely known.  

A few which I tend to hear used quite a bit are:
 'choice' 'corker' or 'mint' which all mean something's great/fantastic,
 'shot' which is often used here to mean 'good job' or 'well done', 
 'cherio' which means goodbye, 
'cheerios' which are small sausages (which I do not like), and
 'yonks' which means ages.  

Also over here 'tea' can mean 'dinner' as well as being a drink, and dinner can mean either lunch or tea depending on who you are talking to. 

Biscuits are cookies, brekky is breakfast, milo is a drink, cereal or energy bar, a jersey is a jumper or a sweater, and a yack is another name for an informal conversation.   

If you were way out in the country you'd be in the wop wops, 
things that are as 'right as rain' are perfect, and
to go to the 'dairy' is to go to the corner store 

Not eveything is different about the way we kiwis speak, these are just a few interesting words that you might hear if you were ever to come visit our country. 

3 comments:

CrimeSceneFairy said...

Newzild = hard to remember, just like Strine....Blueh sent me a whole Strine dictionary once and i saved it to mah computer but den mah computer died. (RIP Hammie) but anyways i could never remember to use any of teh words.
But i still like Newzild. :)
I'm off to post about you in mah blog...mwahaha

netsirK said...

XD Aw, dear Milo.
The whole thing is pretty cool. Do you say Cherio at all? I've never really thought of it as a NZ thing, more like a British thing. But what do I know?
Wow, cheerios are round pieces of cereal here.

Kristen said...

Newzild? Awesome.

*tries to think up some American phrases*
Gobbledygook would be something like "hjg f buvj bnvfyt bmnmnvyt." :P
A restroom is a public toilet room/water closet. The bathroom is the non-public one. :P
A indian-giver is someone who gives a gift than takes/steals it back (like the Indians did to the Pilgrims in the Early Days).
Sneakers are shoes.
Goofing off is like "muching around."
A eraser is what you remove pencil lines with in art class. :P
A dumpster is a box for dumping trash in...
A eggplant is a purple vegetable and a zuchini is a green one.
The garbage man is the man who empties the dumpsters.

I find your biscuit/cookie use to be extremely odd, BTW.