Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The H Debate

The war of 2 sides is on in full swing in my hometown.  Not a war with guns obviously but rather with words - and all over 1 letter - H.  This is no April fools joke - it's really happening - one letter is causing controversy that is costing thousands to decide, and may cost even more before its finished.  See Wanganui got its name from local Maori, however at the time, Maori did not have a written language - only an oral one - so the spelling came from the pronounciation by the local tribespeople.  It is a derivitive of the words Whàngà nui - meaning 'big harbour' however due to the fact the language was only oral, going by the local's pronounciation, the H was not included in the name of either the town or the river (Wh is usually pronounced 'f' in maori).  

In 1991 the local Maori successfully managed to change the name of the river to include the H, and the name of the region also took on the spelling Whanganui, however our city has always remained Wanganui, much to the dismay of the local iwi (tribe).  In 06 a referendum (survey of people old enough to vote) took place with over 80% who voted choosing the current spelling without the H.  That didn't stop the debate however.  2 months ago, the iwi took a claim to the NZ Geographic Board, and they have just released their view that there is a good case for the name change.  Now, beginning in May, we have 3 months to comment on whether we want the change or not.  

Personally, I don't want it.  Our city is Wanganui, and to add the H now, would likely change the whole pronounciation.  The city's nickname(s) given to it by the youth (Wangas/Wangavegas) would be irrelevant, not to mention our title as Wanganuians (again a youth saying).  And it would cost the businesses tons - we're not the biggest town and it's more than likely that many may not be able to afford it.  Besides as it is, those who want the H just use it anyway.  It's made no difference that they use it - they're free to if they want, but if over 80% of us who live there don't want it changed, its really a bit excessive to go ahead with it - particularly since those who just made this ruling aren't even from our city.  What do you think?  Should there be an H or not?

One things for certain - with neither party backing down, the H war is not over yet - not by a long shot.

3 comments:

CrimeSceneFairy said...

Whow. Of all the things to debate over, people debate over an H. hehe. HeHeHe
Anyways I don't live there...but...I guess I wouldn't want the H either...but it would kinda silly to get all upset because of an H, in my opinion. we are not of this world...
That was random don't ask what I mean

netsirK said...

Wow, that's so strange! Doesn't seem like it's that big of a deal, but I guess I wouldn't understand.

I'm with you... that'd be confusing to have to change the city's name.

Kiwi da Fruit said...

Ha! that sounds like an April Fools Day joke! I know it's not, but that's what it sounds like. :)
Hm, I don't know. I think I'd say just leave it. If the town has survived this long without the 'H,' I think it'll do just fine for another X years.

Oh wow, I just found the city's site. It looks beautiful! Wish Wisconsin had scenery like that...

~Kiwifruit~