Friday, June 26, 2009

finally reappearing

Well after a very long time off here, I'm finally back. My computer has been the main cause for such an elongated absence - a faulty battery forces frequent restarts of the internet and thus makes blogging difficult...that being said the last few days that particular computer has been one of the farthest things from my mind.

That of course is due to the biggest trip of my life. It was all finalised on the Thusday. Might explain what went on behind this at some stage, but for now its enough to say that it went from nothing planned, to everything planned in the space of 24 hours...and just 3 days before leaving

The trip began with a 1 hour flight from Wangas to Auckland - the same locations as the first flight I've ever been on - and therefore not too far out of the ordinary...or at least as much as that applies when you've only ever been on 4 flights before and all are 1 hour or less. Shortly after I arrived in Auckland my uncle came and picked me up at the domestic airport - much more pleasant than waiting for 8 hours at the international terminal, I finally arrived there after dinner at my uncles', and equipped with new sunglasses, borrowed digital camera and a whole pile of other extras (and no I had NOT been shopping during that time) at about 7.30 pm.

Once we reached the international airport I went through customs (one of many firsts for me) and then headed down to the gate to wait for boarding. This particular flight was probably my favourite of them all so far. It may have been 12 hours long, but looking back it really doesn't seem like it. Was served chicken for dinner #2 a few hours in, with NZ white Chocolate icecream for dessert. Got a few hours sleep (not a huge amount...but oh well) then a few hours before landing breakfast was served. Was a bit of turbulance on landing, but on the whole was still a good flight. Of course I also went across the international dateline on this trip meaning I had a second 22nd of June...and on my way back I will be missing a day entirely

Next came luggage claim, followed by customs again - and following Dad's wisdom of 'declare everything even if you think it may not need to be declared' meant that this was luckily a very quick and painless process - my passport now officially shows that I have been overseas! Thankfully my suitcase had been tagged right through to my final destination so rather than having to take it with me for the 8 hour stop, it was simply a matter of handing it on to the different airline.

This break was also made more enjoyable due once again to not being stuck at the airport for the entire duration. Dad's cousin met me at the airport and took me to Venice Beach to look around, followed by yet another dinner - this time mexican food. Arriving back at the airport 2 hours before the next flight was due to leave was both smart and crazy... cause I'd been directed to the wrong terminal. Luckily this was easily sorted and I arrived with pleanty of time to make the next flight.

After going through the 3rd set of security barriers/xray machines/metal detectors on this trip I was waiting by the gate for the 3rd flight - the most turbulant of the full trip. 4 and a half hours later I was finally in the state I was headed to, only a 1 hour wait followed by a 55 minute flight away from my final destination.
Walking down to the gate to wait for the call to board, one of the security guys called me over...now since this was my first time out of the country this was kinda crazy cause I had no idea why he'd singled me out... and his first question of 'where did you just arrive from' made me wonder even more what was coming... - It couldn't have been more unexpected as after my reply of 'LA' he asked if it was 'good to be home' and mentioned that it was cool that I was wearing a state T-shirt???? (ok so now the NZ christian magazine - soul purpose - T-shirts are officially a state shirt of NC?????? - and do I really sound American???? - he was the 4th person to think I was headed home!) still it was good to know that I hadn't done anything wrong - simply a case of mistaken identity

Anyway, I got on the final plane and, 1 hour later arrived - with Bluey, her mother and sister there at the airport to meet me :D. After hugs all round we headed back to Bluey's place where I have been for the past few days, and am currently. Still sometimes hasn't completely sunk in that I'm actually here - but I'm definitely enjoying it! :D. Am here for about another week yet before heading back to winter. One thing is certain - This is definitely my favourite holiday so far and I will certainly never forget it!

4 comments:

netsirK said...

*SQUEAK*
*still is in shock*
:D :D :D
So glad you had safe travels! That's a whole lotta traveling. :O Sounds like you were able to pass the time pretty well though. :)
One thing though: CHICKEN DINNER?! You're spoiled rotten! :P On Alaska Airlines all we can get is a cracker pack with cheese, meat, and jam. *sigh* Oh wellz.

Why oh why would people think you were going home? Seems like your awesome NZ accent would've immediately told them otherwise. :)

Man, I wish I could see your guys' faces when you met! :D Bet it was a very cool moment. :) Have a good rest of your trip! Hopefully your trip home will be as smooth as the way there.

Brittany November said...

Hope you have a nice visit!! :-D

CrimeSceneFairy said...

Hurrah hurray! :D Eat some oreos while you're here...and mac n cheese...and uh...uh....whatever else you wanna eat...and...yeah.
Whow. um. that's weird. I dunno how a person with a Kiwi accent would be from North Carolina unless they was hidin somethin :) lawlz.
I hate airplane food.
Just thought I'd say that :)
Okay bai

Kim said...

yay! hope you've been enjoying the U.S.!